Valentine’s Day is fast approaching, as all the shops have been reminding us since Boxing Day, so I thought it would be appropriate to share my favourite ways to celebrate Valentine’s Day when you’re conspicuously without a Valentine:
1. Go to work. It’s a Thursday. Work hard, boss your day and then spend the evening doing whatever your heart desires…
2. …Like making use of happy hour! Get yourself twice as many drinks as you normally would – tomorrow is Friday after all!
3. For a stress-free evening, take a bath with candles, scented oils and a podcast or audiobook of your choice. My personal favourite is Not Another D&D Podcast – escape to a land of fantasy and magic for the night
4. Hold fire on eating chocolates. Indulge, by all means, but the post-valentines discount chocolates will be out on the 15th, so you can eat as many as you like then!
5. Book a table at your favourite restaurant and go out to dinner with another single friend (if you have any left) – enjoy a good time with good company and good food
6. Stay in, draw the curtains and curl up with whatever Netflix series you’re watching; bowl of popcorn and glass of wine (or equivalent)
7. Book for a manicure/pedicure/other pampering activity and leave yourself feeling fresh and relaxed, for no other reason than you deserve it #selfcare
8. Get an early night because it’s still a Thursday and you likely have work the next day. And even if you don’t, it’s important to get your 8 hours
9. Join a new fitness class or gym. Most classes will offer your a free ‘taster’ session, and it’s bound to be less busy on Valentine’s Day. And with January over, most people will have fallen out of their “get fit” routines
10. Buy yourself a bunch of flowers (not roses though; they’re heavily marked up on V-Day). If you’re feeling really extravagant, get them delivered to your workplace by a ‘secret admirer’
11. Take a trip somewhere new! It can be a day trip or a bit longer, but just travel to place you’ve never been and have fun exploring the streets and discovering somewhere brand new
12. If you’re in London, swing down to The Gin Club to drown your sorrows/live it up with classic cocktails in a unique setting
13. Do the thing! Whatever it is you’ve been meaning to do, just do it! Record that youtube video, go for that run, write that book! In the immortal words of Shia Labeouf, “just do it!”
14. Go on a date! Strange as it seems, Valentine’s Day is a great day for a first date. Sure, there might be some pressure to be super romantic, but why not take advantage of all the couples’ deals and take the plunge – at the very least, it’ll be a fun story to tell the kids!
Most important of all, no pressure! It’s a day, like any other. So enjoy your Thursday 14th February!